Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I have a problem

with the wedding party.  Tom wants his brother and his three true friends to be his groomsmen.  And this is where I stumble.  In regular life, I have more friends, acquaintances and pals than he does.  I am naturally more social and outgoing but I still struggle with the concept of bridesmaids.  Having said that, I do not want our parties to be symmetrical and I could go with only a maid of honor.  And, frankly, I am not fully understanding the entire idea behind having bridesmaids.  Maybe I need more education on this point?  But the matter is - between my move to the U.S. and my divorce, in the last 10 years my circle of friends has changed at least three times, and I don't know who I would ask to be my bridesmaids.  My sister will be my maid of honor.  And then I have a couple of friends who will probably feel hurt if I don't ask them.  Maybe my standards are too stringent?  Maybe it is not such a big deal?  I have had at least 3 very close friends fade away after the divorce - for one or another reason.  I still have very close friends in Russia who I would love to see in my bridal party, but they will never make it out here (I know their circumstances and I will not insist).  And then I have friends that I made around 3 years ago when I started my new job, and with whom I have gone through some lows and highs but I don't see them to be as close to me as they think.  At this point, unfortunately, I don't think I have a single friend who is my true friend (I don't count Tom, my sister and a few friends in Russia).  So, what do I do?  Is there any required protocol that needs to be followed?  I need to research this more.

No comments:

Post a Comment