Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Last Saturday,

I interviewed at MOCA for a volunteering position.  Frankly, I did not know what to expect and how to approach it going in - will they go over my resume that has nothing to do with the arts?  Should I be telling them that I at some point or another have broached the world of art either through college courses, self-education, or having a long history of falling for artists?  Should I wear something artsy and act bohemian?  Will they test my knowledge of the exhibitions they have held in the past 5 years?  And oh my god!  I am not even a member of the museum!!!

Oh, how silly of me was to worry about all this!  Valerie, who interviewed me, was warm, supportive and encouraging.  She referred to her own volunteering experience to make me more comfortable and didn't test any of my knowledge :)  She was curious why I wanted to volunteer and I was honest saying that the arts have always attracted me and I am dying to see the "behind the scenes" of a museum.  After about 5 minutes of chatting, she made an absolutely accurate assessment of my aspirations and suggested that I volunteer at their communications department.  

To say that I am excited is to say nothing - I am thrilled!  Oh, how I look forward for them to call me back for an interview with the department personnel!   And I can't wait to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment